A Family Tradition
Becky Cannon’s curiosity about how children can reach their full potential inspired her to start her company, i play., Inc. After earning a degree in child development, she moved to Japan to study and teach at a unique kindergarden that was based on holistic philosophy and natural foods.
While living in Japan, Becky had her first daughter, Emi. There, she discovered unique, quality baby products with special functions, made from natural materials and cute designs. When Becky moved back to the U.S. and had her second daughter, Mari, these features became the basis for the products at i play., Inc. What started as one mail-order item has grown into an offering of a Family of Brands and hundreds of natural baby products.
Today, Becky, Emi, and Mari are the mother-daughter owners of i play., Inc. Many years of researching, developing and manufacturing healthy and natural baby products has contributed to the whole development of babies for generations.
i play. pays attention to the baby’s perspective and parents’ lifestyle priorities in our product development. This process is guided by the principles of child development, health and safety, the natural world, and functionality. Through ongoing research we continually improve our materials and processes. Based on many years of experience, we offer educational information and a range of healthy choices of quality, fun designs that are convenient and affordable. Each product has icons on its packaging to represent these principles.
Child Development encourages whole learning. Our products support babies’ healthy physical, emotional, and mental growth and development. We offer age-appropriate features needed to support the different stages from newborn to three years old. Our Pathways of Whole Learning stimulate babies with seven different kinds of developmental learning experiences.
- Sensory: stimulates baby’s sense of touch, vision, hearing, smell, or taste.
- Movement: develops baby’s gross motor, fine motor, and spatial awareness.
- Interactive: builds baby’s awareness of self and others.
- Communication: supports baby’s verbal and nonverbal language development.
- Cognitive: stimulates baby’s curiosity, memory, and problem solving.
- Creative: encourages baby’s exploration through imagination, art, and music.
- Naturalist: enhances baby’s connection with nature.
Health & Safety ensures quality through research and testing in design and safer materials. We believe that it is our responsibility to monitor quality standards. For over 30 years we have placed importance on using natural materials, as well as avoiding potentially harmful substances in all of our products.
- UPF 50+: guards baby’s skin with an ultraviolet protection factor of 50+.
- Hypoallergenic: made with non-irritating materials to minimize the risk of an allergic reaction.
- Petroleum-free: made with bio-based materials, silicone, and other natural fibers to prevent chemical leaching.
- BPA/BPS-free: made without the use of toxic resins to protect against hazardous developmental effects.
- PVC-free: made without the use of toxic plasticizers to protect against hazardous developmental effects.
- Azo-free Dyes: made without the use of toxic dyes to minimize the risk of hazardous health effects.
- Water-based paints: made without the use of toxic solvents with human health and the environment in mind.
- Formaldehyde-free: made without the use of a known toxic substance to minimize the risk of respiratory irritation and other hazardous health effects.
- Formamide-free: made without the use of a known toxic substance to minimize the risk of eye, skin, and other irritations.
- Melamine-free: made without the use of a known toxic substance to minimize the risk of hazardous health effects.
The Natural World considers maximizing the life cycle of our products and minimizing their environmental impact. As much as possible, we strive to source materials that are renewable, recycled, or recyclable for our products.
- Reusable: intended for repeat use to help minimize waste, save money, and to offer on-the-go convenience.
- Interchangeable: made to reduce waste and provide convenience with tops and bases that can transition with your baby through the many stages of development.
- Extended life: made with durable materials to provide long-lasting use and convenience while keeping the environment in mind.
- Organic: made without the use of toxic synthetic chemicals to promote ecological health.
- Plant-based: made using plant materials, rather than synthetic petroleum resins.
- Natural: produced by plants or animals without the use of added dyes or other synthetic substances.
- Sustainably harvested: made with low environmental impact to ensure the preservation of ecological integrity.
- Renewable resource: made from naturally reoccurring substances to minimize the use of fossil fuels and other nonrenewable resources.
- Source reduction: made to reduce the volume of waste and pollution during the manufacturing process.
- Non-GMO: produced without the genetic modification or manipulation of naturally occurring organisms.
- USA-grown: grown and harvested within the United States of America.
- Gluten-free: made without the use of a protein composite found in barley, wheat, and rye known as gluten.
Function offers practical comfort for babies and convenience for parents. Our products are designed to be fundamentally useful and effective with multiple, unique functions.
- Reversible: made to offer two colors or patterns by wearing either surface on the outside.
- Waterproof: made to inhibit water from entering or passing through a material.
- Water-resistant: made to prevent most water from entering or passing through a material.
- Absorbent: made with a porous material to easily soak up liquids.
- Vented: made to allow air to pass through material for extra comfort.
- Stackable: made to be arranged in a stack for convenient storage and easy travel.
- Breathable: made to provide air contact with the skin to prevent and aid perspiration.
- Lightweight: made with light material to allow freedom of movement and comfortability.
- Wick away: made to draw moisture away from the skin to maintain comfortability.
- Water-friendly: made to be utilized in and out of the water for ultimate protection.
- Easy clean: made to be sanitized without difficulty to save time and energy.
- Machine-washable: made to be cleaned in a washing machine without being damaged, or causing damage.
- Pre-washed: laundered before sale to ensure softness of fabric for every use.
- Dishwasher-safe: made to be cleaned in a dishwasher without being damaged, or causing damage.
- Sterilizer-safe: made to be sterilized without being damaged, or causing damage.
i play. Board Shorts with Built-in Reusable Absorbent Swim Diaper
i play. Brim Sun Protection Hat
i play. Bucket Sun Protection Hat
i play. Flap Sun Protection Hat
i play. Funglasses
i play. Lightweight Raincoat
i play. Long Sleeve Rashguard
i play. One-piece Tanksuit with Built-in Reusable Absorbent Swim Diaper
i play. Organically Grown Cap
i play. Organically Grown Footie
i play. Organically Grown Receiving Blanket
i play. Organically Grown Reversible Bib
i play. Organically Grown S/S Body Suit
i play. Organically Grown Socks
i play. Pocket Raincoat
i play. Reusable Absorbent Swim Diaper – Boys
i play. Reusable Absorbent Swim Diaper – Girls
i play. Short Sleeve Rashguard
i play. Shortini Tankini Swim Suit 2-piece Set
i play. Swim Trunks with Built-in Absorbent Swim Diaper
i play. Tie Rashguard Set
i play. Tie Rashguard Shortsleeve